Re: caching query results - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: caching query results
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Karel Zak wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Jan Wieck wrote:
>
> It is good idea. What exactly is a key? If I good understand this key
> is for query identification only. Right?
   Right.  Imagine  a querytree (after overhaul) that looks like   this:
                      +------+                      | SORT |                      +------+                         ^
                    |          +-----------------------------+          | JOIN                        |          |
atts:rel1.att1, rel2.att2  |          | qual: rel1.att2 = rel2.att1 |          +-----------------------------+
    ^                     ^               |                     |     +------------------+  +------------------+     |
SCAN            |  | SCAN             |     | rel:  rel1       |  | rel:  rel2       |     | atts: att1, att2 |  |
atts:att1, att2 |     +------------------+  +------------------+

   which is a node structure describing a query of:
   SELECT rel1.att1, rel2.att2 FROM rel1, rel2       WHERE rel1.att2 = rel2.att1;
   The "key" identifying this querytree now could look like
   SORT(JOIN(1.1,2.2;SCAN(78991;1,2),SCAN(78995;1,2);))
   78991 and 78995 are the OIDs of rel1 and rel2. So the key  is   a  very  simplified  description  of what the query
does,and   maybe the qualification should  be  included  too.  But  it's   enough to find a few candidates to look at
closeron the node   level out of hundreds of cached plans.

> >     These keys could be managed in a shared LRU table, and if the
>
> My current code is based on HASH table with keys and query&plan is
> saved in special for a plan created MemoryContext (it is good for
> a example SPI_freeplan()).
   IIRC our hash table code insists on using global, per backend   memory.   I thought about managing the entire
querycachewith   a new type of memory context, using  different  routines  for   palloc()/pfree(),  working  in  a
sharedmemory area only and   eventually freeing  longest  unused  plans  until  allocation   fits.  Let's  see  if
usinghash tables here would be easy or   not.

> >     same  key  appears  a  number  of  times  (0-n),  it's entire
> >     querytree + plan (after planning)  will  be  saved  into  the
> >     shared  mem.
>
> Here I not understend. Why is here any time checking?
   There's not that big of a win if you do all the shared memory   overhead  for  any  query  at  it's  first
occurance.Such a   generic query cache only makes sense for queries  that  occur   often.  So  at  it's first to n-th
occurancewe only count by   key and after we know that it's one  of  these  again'n'again   thingies, we pay the cache
overhead.
   Also  I  think,  keeping  the number of exclusive cache locks   (for writing) as small as possible would be a good
idea WRT   concurrency.

> IMHO users can use PREPARE / EXECUTE for same query. Suggested idea is
> really good if this query cache will in shared memory and more backends
> can use it.
   Exactly  that's  the idea. And since the postmaster will hold   the shared memory as it does  for  the  block  and
syscache,  it'll survive even times of no DB activity.

> Good. It is solution for 'known-query' and allow it skip any steps in the
> query path. But we still not have any idea for cached plans validity. What
> if user changes oid for any operator, drop column (etc)?
   That's  why  the  key  is only good to find "candidates". The   cacheing has to look very close to the nodes in the
tree and   maybe  compare  down  to pg_attribute oid's etc. to decide if   it's really the same query or not.

> Is really sure that this will faster? (it must create key for nodes,
> search same query in any table (cache), copy new query&plan to cache
> ..etc.)
   Only some timing code put into backends in various real world   databases  can tell how much of the entire
processingtime is   spent in the optimizer.

   And I'd not be surprised if most of the time is already spent   during   the  parse  step,  which  we  cannot  skip
by this   technique.

Jan