Re: [HACKERS] NUMERIC and Perl - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] NUMERIC and Perl
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> How will the new numeric type appear in Perl? Will it be a string or
> what?

    Should  be  a string - or is Perl capable of handling numbers
    with hundreds of digits before and after  the  decimal  point
    (ALL SIGNIFICANT)?

    AFAIK,  only  tools  like  bc(1) or when using some arbitrary
    precision packages from inside an application (where  numbers
    are usually handled as strings for I/O) can operate correctly
    on such precise things.

Jan