Re: [INTERFACES] crypt not included when compiling libpgtcl !!!!!!! - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From leif@danmos.dk
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] crypt not included when compiling libpgtcl !!!!!!!
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Hi Tom,

You wrote:

> leif@danmos.dk writes:
> >    I've just downloaded the new pgaccess 0.92b. Of course I experienced
> > the 'unresolved crypt' problem. I made a mod. both in the Makefile

   [snip]

> Which version did you say you were using?  There is no assignment of
> LDFLAGS_SL in either libpq's or libpgtcl's Makefile in 6.4 --- that's
> being done in src/Makefile.shlib now.  I wonder whether you have some
> 6.4 beta version.

   Sorry, I should of course have pointed out from the beginning that I
am using 6.3.2 and only 6.3.2, everything is 6.3.2 downloaded sometime in
the spring (this year :-) and running on Linux.

> Still, this -Bdynamic switch looks interesting.  Constantin, if you
> add that to LDFLAGS_SL in src/Makefile.shlib (in the Linux case, of
> course) does it work any better for you?

   I think the the important thing is to have -Bdynamic on both libraries
(libpq and libpgtcl).

> 6.4 libpq (and hence libpgtcl) cannot talk to a 6.3.2 backend at all.
> But that should have resulted in a failure in the pg_connect statement,
> because it would have been detected by the old backend as an unsupported
> protocol version number.
>
> I wonder whether what you actually have is a couple of different pre-6.4
> code snapshots.  We changed the FE/BE protocol a couple of times between
> 6.3.2 and 6.4beta1, but we only changed the protocol version number
> once.  Some of those intermediate states of the code would have failed
> to talk to each other with peculiar symptoms, perhaps like this.

   As I mentioned above, I am running a pure 6.3.2 FE and BE!

> BTW, which Linux distribution are you using?

    I tried this on a RH 5.0 (kernel 2.0.32), but I also have PostgreSQL
running on a Slackware 3.2 (the Jan 1998 edition from Infomagic). I actually
prefere Slackware over RedHat.

    Greetings,

                                             /
       _/                            _/_/   /  Leif Jensen (leif@danmos.dk)
    _/       _/   _/   _/        _/      / Linux 2.0.33, gcc 2.7.2, wxWin 1.68C