Re: Tom, I've got an emergency - please help me - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ian Linwood
Subject Re: Tom, I've got an emergency - please help me
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 07:51:42 +0000 (UTC), steffen@city-map.de ("Henrik
Steffen") wrote:

>my new hardware is up and running, the dump is restored, the new
>server is equipped with 1 GB of ECC RAM and an AMD 1.6 GHz processor
>
>Until now the system has been running without any problems.
>
>Thanks for your help!
>
>Hopefully, the problem is solved now!

I've watched this thread from the beginning with great interest.

I must say how impressed I am by the support given to Henrik Steffen.
Not just in technical expertise, but with such quick response and
dedication.

Even though the problem was not caused by PostgreSQL, the group seemed
to be resolved to finding a resolution, not just to the cause, but
also to the recovery.

Why do people run their businesses on MS Access / MS SQL Server or
even competent products like Oracle, when products like PostgreSQL (or
whatever you wish to call it), exist.

I work with commercial DB products (MS SQL/Oracle/DB2) and the company
I work for pay a vendor 10,000UKP/pa for support for just ONE bespoke
application they use on their Oracle database (which has a seperate
support cost of it's own) The support calls average 2/pa for this
application. In the two years I've been here, it's been me thats
actually resolved the problems. The applicaton is no more than a
windows based SQL report writer. There are approx., 20 of such bespoke
applications used by this company.

If I received support like I've seen here, the money would be well
spent.