Re: How to convert US date format to European date format ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: How to convert US date format to European date format ?
Date
Re: How to convert US date format to European date format?
List pgsql-general
John R Pierce wrote on 10.04.2013 21:28:
> On 4/10/2013 6:15 AM, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
>> psql (one of the possible client applications) uses the "datestyle"
>> parameter to decide on how to format a date column when displaying
>> it.
>>
>> If you change the "datestyle" parameter in postgresql.conf, it will
>> influence the way psql displays the date values. Probably pgAdmin
>> will also check that setting (as I don't use pgAdmin I can't really
>> tell).
>
> PSQL doesn't use that, postgres itself does.   it can be set on the
> fly with SET on a per-connection basis, or with ALTER DATABASE on a
> per-database basis.

But the *display* is done by the client.
And if Postgres (the server) did the conversion, I would not be able to see a different date formatting in e.g. a JDBC
basedtool. So I guess psql is reading that database/server setting.