Re: Update For Outdated Win98 - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Mark Morgan Lloyd
Subject Re: Update For Outdated Win98
Date
List pgsql-odbc
BGoebel wrote:
> I admit, nowadays an exotic szenario:
>
> Running a PostgreSQL client on an Windows 98 machine.
>
> The 9.1 pSQLOdbc Driver uses some Kernel32.DLL functions which were
> introduced with  WindowsXP.
> such as TryEnterCriticalSection().
>
> I updated Windows 98 with KernelEx 4.5.2 http://kernelex.sourceforge.net/
> and the brandnew 2011 pSQLOdbc driver runs with our application without a
> problem until now. We are using UTF8 Charsets with the psqlodbca.dll, UTF 16
> with psqlodbcw.dll might be an issue.

To remove ambiguity: do you mean you've had it running and it's not so
far failed, or you've had it running and it's recently failed? :-)

> KernelEx is a compatibility layer for running Win2000+ apps.

Interesting. Is there a list of what APIs it adds or adjusts?

> I have tested it with Win98 running in a VM, but i am sure pSQLODBC will
> work with a real machine too.
>
> Special thanks go to Hiroshi Inoue for his hint.

All of us have much to be grateful to him for.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk