Re: Problem with the 9.1 one-click installer Windows7 64bit - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: Problem with the 9.1 one-click installer Windows7 64bit
Date
List pgsql-general
Craig Ringer, 16.09.2011 05:02:
> On 15/09/2011 4:18 PM, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
>> I ran another install and monitored what the process was doing and
>> it *is* recursively touching all files on my harddisk when
>>
>> icacls C:\ /grant "tkellerer":RX
>>
>> is called. Even without the /t switch.
>
> That's a worry.
>
> It'd be interesting to generate a Process Monitor trace for this, as
> it'll show exactly what iacls is doing. Just having a handle open to
> some random file is weird, but it'd be good to know if it's messing
> with permissions too.

I have created such a trace file which is quite large, so I removed a lot of repetitions where each and every file that
wasprocessed was shown. I hope it still contains enough information for you to find out what is going on.

I have uploaded the file here: http://www.sql-workbench.net/icacls_trace.zip

As this works correctly on XP I'm wondering if there is a substantial difference between cacls.exe (which is used on XP
bythe installer script) and the new icacls.exe

> I wonder if it's to do with ACL inheritance? Maybe one of the
> inheritance control flags like "NP" is needed. I don't know enough
> about NT permissions to say, but inheritance would be my suspect.

No, idea either. I am by no means a Windows expert.

Regards
Thomas