Re: Problem with the 9.1 one-click installer Windows7 64bit - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: Problem with the 9.1 one-click installer Windows7 64bit
Date
List pgsql-general
Craig Ringer, 14.09.2011 06:20:
> As Dave noted, it's a non-recursive grant. It isn't changing the
> permissions for C:\ and everything under it. It's only changing the
> permissions for C:\ its self. It's then stepping down the path of
> parents down to the datadir and doing the same thing to make sure you
> have the required rights on every folder all the way down.
>
> See: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753525(WS.10).aspx
>
> and note the lack of the /t flag when icacls is called.

I ran another install and monitored what the process was doing and it *is* recursively touching all files on my
harddiskwhen

icacls  C:\ /grant "tkellerer":RX

is called. Even without the /t switch.

I verified this using ProcessExplorer displaying the open file handles for the running icacls.exe

So there is either some (hidden?) system setting that makes icacls to recurse by default or something has changed in
Windows7.

I can see the exact same behaviour (touching all files recursively) when I run the above command manually from a
commandprompt

Regards
Thomas