Re: Problem with the 9.1 one-click installer Windows7 64bit - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: Problem with the 9.1 one-click installer Windows7 64bit
Date
List pgsql-general
Craig Ringer, 14.09.2011 06:20:
> I forwarded your message to Dave Page in case the EDB folks needed to
> look into this. He commented that:
>
> "Aside from the fact that icacls is hanging for reasons unknown, it
> appears to be doing what it is designed to do - it traverses up the
> path from the data directory to the root directory, granting
> read/execute permissions on each dir as it goes. It's a non-recursive
> grant (the default - /T makes it recurse), and is done because a
> great deal of the failures we used to see were caused by the user not
> having read or execute permissions on one of the parents of the data
> directory (or installation directory)."
>
> ... which to me explains why:
>
>> Then when I kill that process, the installer starts a new one with
>>
>> icacls "C:\Daten" /grant "tkellerer":RX
>
> As Dave noted, it's a non-recursive grant. It isn't changing the
> permissions for C:\ and everything under it. It's only changing the
> permissions for C:\ its self. It's then stepping down the path of
> parents down to the datadir and doing the same thing to make sure you
> have the required rights on every folder all the way down.
>
> See: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753525(WS.10).aspx
>
> and note the lack of the /t flag when icacls is called.
>
> Given that, it's not clear why it's taking so long. A lock of some
> kind, maybe? Anyway, it's *not* recursively changing the permissions
> on your HDD.

Thanks for the feedback.

Those steps do make sense - and I appreciate the installer doing that, as there were a lot of problems in various
forumsregarding the permissions ;)

But I have no idea why it's hanging (or taking that long).

I ran the installer on a Windows XP box (32bit) that is not part of a domain, and there everything worked just fine.

I currently don't have time to re-test this and wait until it finished (or check what iacls.exe is waiting for). But
maybenext week I can try to find the real reason for that.

Regards
Thomas