Re: 8.4 Data Not Compatible with 9.0.1 Upgrade? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: 8.4 Data Not Compatible with 9.0.1 Upgrade?
Date
List pgsql-general
Adrian Klaver, 02.11.2010 23:23:
>>> Before I move or rename '/var/lib/postgres/data', what version of
>>> PostgreSQL should I be at? 8.4 or 9.0?
>>
>> Actually both, because pg_upgrade needs the binaries of the old
>> *and* new version.
>>
> Part of the confusion Carlos is experiencing is that he is caught
> between two upgrade suggestions. At this point he is most of the way
> to doing it the traditional way, dump/restore. While pg_upgrade
> could be of use, it does not solve the immediate problem, which how
> to restore the dump file :)

Ah, right.

But on the other hand, he only dumped a single database which will not
include e.g. users and roles.

So if he needs to restore users and privileges from the original 8.4
installation there is no way around re-installing the 8.4 binaries.

Regards
Thomas