Re: Proper case function - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jasen Betts
Subject Re: Proper case function
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 2009-12-31, Michael Gould <mgould@intermodalsoftwaresolutions.net> wrote:
> Gary,
>
> Based on what I read it wouldn't handle cases where the result should be
>
> MacDonald from macdonald.  There are other cases such as the sentence below
>
> ('it''s crazy! i couldn''t believe kate mcdonald, leo dicaprio, (terrence)
> trent d''arby (circa the 80''s), and jada pinkett-smith all showed up to
> [cHris o''donnell''s] party...donning l''oreal lIpstick! They''re heading to
> o''neil''s pub later on t''nite. the_underscore_test. the-hyphen-test)
>
> This wouldn't handle the quotes and proper case all of the words.

There is no case-restoring algorithm that works in all cases.

Some people case their name differently just as some spell their name
differently. Possibly for the same reasons.

Contact the owners of the names and offer them the opportunity to have
their name represented in the correct case - send them a link to an online
form.