Re: Raise functionality - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jasen Betts
Subject Re: Raise functionality
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2009-11-05, Sam Mason <sam@samason.me.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 08:24:24AM -0600, Michael Gould wrote:
>> We want to control from our application how to handle certain exceptions. I
>> believe that Raise is the functionality that we want to use.  The
>> documentation is a little light on what happens on the client side.
>
> That's because it's up to the client to decide what to do.  You'll need
> to look at the documentation of whatever library/code you're using
> to talk to PG.  PG just aborts the transaction for anything apart
> from NOTIFY and hence your client will just see the transaction/query
> failing.  How you disentangle this is up to your code and how they with
> your drivers.

NOTICE, LOG, and DEBUG events are non-terminating, only EXCEPTION cancels the
transaction. NOTIFY is something completely different.
there is an option that must be set to make the events visible, I
forget what it is.

look up PQsetNoticeProcessor

At work we exploit notices to control our application's GUI.