Re: Customize the install directory of the postgres DB - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: Customize the install directory of the postgres DB
Date
List pgsql-general
weixiang tam wrote on 13.11.2009 10:16:
> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to install the postgres8.2.14 via the RPM; however the
> install directory is default to the following folder
>
>     * Executables : /usr/bin
>     * Libraries : /usr/lib
>     * Documentation : /usr/share/doc/postgresql-x.y.z ,
>       /usr/share/doc/postgresql-x.y.z/contrib
>     * Contrib : /usr/share/pgsql/contrib
>     * Data : /var/lib/pgsql/data
>
> As we are bundling the postgresql db as our product release, we would
> like to keep the Postgres executable dir, Data Dir under our product
> folder. In this case, could I know whether I can customize the install
> directory when i do the RPM installation?

Why don't you use the archive binaries from EnterpriseDB?

http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgbindownload.do

I use the "ZIP Version" on Windows to "package" Postgresql without problems.
I just unzip the archive, run initdb pointing to a directory which is located next to the directory where I unpack the
archive.

I then use batch files to start and stop the PG server during startup of my (web) application

Regards
Thomas