Re: Oracle and Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: Oracle and Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
Scott Marlowe, 31.08.2008 22:44:
> I think some of it is inertia.  We've always used Oracle, let's just
> keep on using it.  The more conservative the IT department is, the
> less likely they are to take chances with new technology.
>
> It used to be there was about an 80/20 split between what things you
> could do with either postgresql or oracle, and the other 20% was
> oracle only land. I think that number is dropping quickly, and we're
> into the 1 or 2% club of what Oracle can do that PostgreSQL isn't fast
> enough for.

For me (personally) the ratio is more like 70/30, because we are making extensive usage of Oracle's windowing functions
(andability to easily deal with hierarchical data using CONNECT BY).

The lack of windowing functions is a bit frustrating as I'm otherwise a big Postgres fan!

Regards
Thomas