Re: Preserving view source code - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: Preserving view source code
Date
List pgsql-general
Richard Huxton wrote on 16.10.2007 18:59:
>> The formatting has been removed completely and PG actually re-wrote
>> the query. For the above example I would get:
>
>> Is there a way to tell PG _not_ to alter my SQL, so I can retrieve the
>> same (or at least a very similar) version of the original statement?
>>
>> For procedures this is already the case, so I wonder why the view code
>> is altered that much.
>
> The body of a function is just text, so what you put in is what you get
> out.
>
> The view definition is presumably in the form of a parse-tree or some
> such, so what you get back is a human-readable form of that rather than
> what you type at the keyboard.
>
> It's the same with pg_dump's interpretation of your table definitions -
> you don't get the formatting nor even the "shape" of your definition I'm
> afraid.
>
> What are you trying to do that requires the original definition?

I'm maintaining a cross-platform SQL tool that also displays source code for
views, triggers etc. It would have been nice if the tool could actually display
the source the same way it looked when the user ran the CREATE VIEW statement
(which is possible with most of the other DBMS I support).

So I guess I just have to live with that.

Thanks for the answer

Regards
Thomas