Difference between Vacuum and Vacuum full - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Radhika S
Subject Difference between Vacuum and Vacuum full
Date
Re: Difference between Vacuum and Vacuum full  ("Rodrigo De León" <rdeleonp@gmail.com>)
Re: Difference between Vacuum and Vacuum full  ("D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy@druid.net>)
List pgsql-performance
Hi,

I have recently had to change our nightly jobs from running vacuum
full, as it has caused problems for us. Upon doing more reading on
this topic, I understand that vacuum full needs explicit locks on the
entire db and explicit locking conflicts with all other locks.

But this has bought me to the question of what exactly is the
difference between vacuum and vacuum full. If both give back free
space to the disk, then why have vacuum full.

Thank you.
Radhika

--
It is all a matter of perspective. You choose your view by choosing
where to stand. --Larry Wall