future of contrib/xml2 and xslt processing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject future of contrib/xml2 and xslt processing
Date
Re: future of contrib/xml2 and xslt processing  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
contrib/xml2 has been claimed to be deprecated since PostgreSQL 8.3.  I
took a look through the functions it offers and perhaps with xmltable
now being available, they could all be replaced using built-in
functions, perhaps with some small tweaking.

But we don't have any replacement lined up for the XSLT processing
function xslt_process.  What should we do with that, assuming that we
eventually want to remove contrib/xml2 altogether?

1. Just remove it, leaving users to find other solutions.  (PL/P* can
probably fill the gap.)

2. Create a new extension contrib/xslt, move the implementation there.
(Optionally, have contrib/xml2 depend on this new extension if it is not
ready to be removed.)

3. Add XSLT functionality to core (unlikely).

Thoughts?