Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Dan Scott
Subject Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 03/09/07, Christopher Petrilli <petrilli@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> Every time I write anything, I have to go back and make sure I used to
> dumb name, and not the one that makes sense. Today, in 2007, nobody is
> going to suddenly assume that we don't support SQL, and while a
> majority of the databases in the open source world are burdened with
> SQL in their name, this isn't true in the commercial world:
>
>   * Oracle
>   * Sybase
>   * DB/2
>   * SQL Server
>   * Teradata
</snip>

If it's any consolation, DB2 (proper form - no slash) seems to be
burdened with a name that continues to suffer from branding confusion
with the defunct OS/2. Even IBMers get it wrong.

I don't expect they'll be changing the name, though.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University