Backup solution over unreliable network - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Achilleas Mantzios
Subject Backup solution over unreliable network
Date
Re: Backup solution over unreliable network  (Evan Bauer <evanbauer@mac.com>)
List pgsql-admin
Hello,
we've been running our backup solution for the last 5 months to a second site which has an unreliable network
connection.We had problems with barman, since it doesn't support backup resume, also no

option to disable the replication slot, in the sense, that it is better to sacrifice the backup rather than fill up the
primarywith WALs and bring the primary down. Another issue is now supporting

entirely backing up from the secondary. With barman this is not possible, streaming (or archiving) must originate from
theprimary.So I want to ask two things here :

- Backing up to a remote site over an unreliable channel is a limited use case by itself, it is useful for local PITR
restoreson specific tables/data, or in case the whole primary suffers a disaster.

Is there any other benefit that would justify building a solution for it?
- I have only read the best reviews about PgBackRest, can PgBackRest address those issues?

Thank you!

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead