Some more msvc++ 8.2.4 build feedback - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Charlie Savage
Subject Some more msvc++ 8.2.4 build feedback
Date
Re: Some more msvc++ 8.2.4 build feedback  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
In addition to the encoding issues I have with the 8.2.4 MSVC++ build
(see previous email), there are some other issues that I've run into:

1.  The custom build step that generates DEF files for DLLS using a perl
script does not work.  The perl script runs, and a slew of symbol
information is output to the MSVC++ console.  And a def file is created,
but it always empty.

If you run the perl script (gendef.pl) by hand from a DOS prompt, the
DEF file is created correctly.  That of course is a bit of pain since
you have to do it for a number of the MSVC++ projects.

2.  The build has hard-coded paths (as far as I can see) to zlib and
openssl.  Is there a way to a) remove them or b) change them ahead of
time so you don't have to manually change 20+ project files?

3.  If you have a contrib module that is not known to the build system
it blows up.  For example, I use PostGIS.  When running build.bat it
stops at postgis (sorry, I didn't write down the error message but can
easily get it if needed).  Could unknown contrib modules just be skipped
instead?

4.  I was surprised to find out that a MSVC++ build cannot open a
database cluster created by a MSYS build (not sure about vice versa
since I didn't checked).  When running pg_ctl start a checksum error is
returned.  Is this expected?  I got around it by doing a dump from the
MSYS database and a restore into the MSVC++ database, which worked fine.

Hope these comments help - and thanks for providing the build scripts.
They make it *much* easier to debug postgresql and contrib modules on
Windows.

Out of curiosity, will the MSVC++ build become the default for 8.3 on
Windows or will it remain MSYS for a bit longer?

Thanks,

Charlie