Re: Domain conference.postgresql.org requested - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Guido Barosio
Subject Re: Domain conference.postgresql.org requested
Date
List pgsql-www
Well, I am probably missing too much (dunno about the tech resources and cost for the case), and you will probably be surprised on my post to the thread, but:

1) conference.postgresql.org seems much more easy to remember than www.postg.... (which has no sense if the site is temporary)

2) Google (and alike ones) will obviously index this documents, so, if *we* set this as a subdomain, and then will switch it off, we'll have 404 GET shit, when, if *we* use a www.postgre..../conference kind of site, then we could easily redirect those hits to the main site, without paying an extra for a subdomain.

My 2 cents, if they count go to the site/conference case.

Every little helps, and please avoid this post if I am being silly >:}

G.-

On 1/13/06, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
Dave,

> Good point. Well, it is a temporary site so having it separate for good
> reasons is not so evil I don't think. If you're convinced it needs to be
> separate,

Well, that's what Peter, Andrew and Gavin S voted.

> then all I would suggest is that you make obviously a separate
> site, yet clearly still PostgreSQL. Perhaps stick rigidly with the main
> site colours and logo, but use a totally different layout. Or the same
> layout, but different colours. That would help with your point below.

Gavin Roy is preparing a template for Framewerk that's the PostgreSQL.org
"theme".   So it will look like part of the site, just with different
navigation.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus