Re: pg_stat_progress_basebackup - progress reporting forpg_basebackup, in the server side - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: pg_stat_progress_basebackup - progress reporting forpg_basebackup, in the server side
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 2020/02/06 11:07, Amit Langote wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 9:51 AM Kyotaro Horiguchi
> <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure "most peple will assume" or not, so I said "I'm not
>> sure".  For example, I feel strangeness to use "I'm waiting for Amit"
>> to express that I'm waiting Amit to leave there.  That phrase gives me
>> such kind of uneasiness.
>>
>> I thought of "establishing checkpoint" or "running a checkpoint" as
>> other candidates.
>
> Okay, I understand.  I am fine with "running checkpoint", although I
> think "waiting for checkpoint" isn't totally wrong either.

Yeah, but if "waiting for XXX" sounds a bit confusing to some people,
I'm OK to back to "waiting for XXX to finish" that you originally
proposed.

Attached the updated version of the patch. This patch uses the following
descriptions of the phases.

   waiting for checkpoint to finish
   estimating backup size
   streaming database files