Re: What exactly is postgres doing during INSERT/UPDATE ? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: What exactly is postgres doing during INSERT/UPDATE ?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 6:26 AM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Jeff Janes<jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

it doesn't matter nearly as much though.

True, but it matters enough that it ought not be ignored.  I've run into it more than once, and I haven't been at this very long.

if you are outrunning the
o/s write cache with fsync off, then it's time to start looking at new
hardware.

Or to start looking at tweaking the kernel VM settings.  The kernel doesn't always handle these situations as gracefully as it could, and might produce a practical throughput that is much less than the theoretical one.  But reducing the frequency of checkpoints is easier than either of these, and cheaper than buying new hardware.  I don't see why the hardest and most expensive option would be the first choice.

 Jeff