Re: postgresql definitive list of network resources used/needed? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Ron
Subject Re: postgresql definitive list of network resources used/needed?
Date
List pgsql-admin
On 8/11/22 10:04, Scott Ribe wrote:
>> On Aug 11, 2022, at 8:38 AM, richard coleman <rcoleman.ascentgl@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If you read the entire line you quoted, I was trying to confirm that intrinsic features and utilities, including
pg_dump,don't use any **other** network ports

> Right. "Standard" utilities don't. pg_dump, pg_basebackup, fdw, etc all connect to PG as clients--which means they
connectto 5432, from whatever random port the OS assigns to that connection.

Exactly.  Postgresql uses 5432.  Other RDBMSs (for example SQL Server) use
more than just the client port number because they bundle other features
into their products and decide to send features like mirroring over
different port numbers.