installing Postgres 8.3 on Mac - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Andrew Maracini
Subject installing Postgres 8.3 on Mac
Date
List pgsql-novice
I'm having problems installing PostgreSQL on my Macbook. I had v. 8.4 running fine but found that PostGIS doesn't work with 8.4 so I took 8.4 off (just dragged it to trash) and tried installing 8.3 from http://www.kyngchaos.com/software:postgres

So I installed both PostgreSQL 8.3 and PostGIS 1.4, the installs apparently were successful, but I don't know where they are! Where did they get installed? How do I find them? How do I start PgAdmin III? The readme says something about a usr/ directory but I can't find that? If I have to use a terminal, what exactly do I need to type?

After a few hours of getting frustrated with that I tried another installer, PostGres Plus http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/postgres_plus/download.do which included PostGIS, this one seemed to be a better package but that install failed, What gives?

I have GRASS and Quantum GIS both installed and working fine, I just need to get this postgreSQL and PostGIS thing installed. Please anyone, some very specific directions. I don't know much about macs or shells or terminals.

Why did that 8.4 install go so smooth and this one is horrible?

I have PostgreSQL and PostGIS working fine on my PC. I thought Macs were supposed to be easy!

Help! Please!

Andy

--
Andrew Maracini, GISP/AICP