Re: browser interface to forums please? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: browser interface to forums please?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 04/05/2017 11:46 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 7:22 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com
> <mailto:jd@commandprompt.com>> wrote:

>     Stackoverflow gives back by providing an interface people want to
>     use. It is free (as in beer) and is hugely popular.
>

> I think one of the greatest things that Stackoverflow brins isn't
> actually the interface (I for one can't stand it, but I'm clearly not
> the target group here), but it's the fact that they have the *userbase*
> of people. We have a userbase of "people already using postgres and many
> of them having done so for some time because there's a threshold to get
> over to join this mailinglist thing". Stackoverflow has a userbase that
> is orders of magnitude higher, because they provide a venue for people
> to ask questions about *anything* -- so they can use the same venue to
> ask about their programming language, their framework-du-jour, their
> database, their operating system etc etc.

I would agree with that.

> This is one reason why I don't think having PostgreSQL dedicated web
> forums would actually be very interesting today. Those people who prefer
> to use the web as their media are more likely to already be using other
> platforms which bring them *more value* than a PostgreSQL dedicated
> forum ever would. And they don't have to sing up for Yet Another
> Account. And they can work on whatever credit-style-kickback their
> favorite platform does.

Which is a reasonable opinion and why my point is more about interfacing
with those external communities in some positive fashion (vs propping
our own infrastructure).

>     We need to be embracing these external communities because it is
>     where our growth is. I run into people every single week that
>     absolutely refuse to join these lists. They want nothing to do with
>     email and they have good reason.
>

> Fully agreed. And I think we're better off doing that than to try to
> rebuild our own version of those communities.

+1

Thanks,

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564
Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.