Re: Authentication Failed - new user installation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From ray
Subject Re: Authentication Failed - new user installation
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mar 28, 12:57 pm, dp...@pgadmin.org (Dave Page) wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Scott Mead
>

> <scott.li...@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 3:51 AM, ray <Ray.Jos...@cdicorp.com> wrote:
>
> >> I have installed 8.2 on a Windows 2000 laptop.
>
> >> I think it is installed.  From the pgAdmin, it shows "Servers (1)" and
> >> it is named PostgreSQL Database Server 8.2 (localhost:5432).  Right
> >> clicking for  says I can stop services or disconnect so I am guessing
> >> that it is running.
>
> >> Is that correct?
>
> >    That is correct.  If you saw a red 'X' over the icon next to " PostgreSQL
> > Database Server 8.2 (localhost:5432)" then the server would be offline.
>
> Err, no - a red cross means pgAdmin hasn't connected to that server
> yet. For a windows server, on the local machine the presence of the
> Stop Service option means it's running (it'll also have a 'Running'
> value in the properties list). On other platforms it's a bit more
> complex and depends on whether the user has configured service control
> scripts for pgAdmin to use.
>
> --
> Dave Page
> EnterpriseDB UK:  http://www.enterprisedb.com

Thank you for all the input.  This is giving me a much better
understanding of the systems.

I found that if I logoff the OS as admin and logon as postgres, all
functionality is provided.  It looks like I just need to do my admin
work from the postgres account.

Ray