Re: Capacitors, etc., in hard drives and SSD for DBMS machines... - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Levente Birta
Subject Re: Capacitors, etc., in hard drives and SSD for DBMS machines...
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 08/07/2016 13:23, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
> Why all this concern about how long a disk (or SSD) drive can stay up
> after a power failure?
>
> It seems to me that anyone interested in maintaining an important
> database would have suitable backup power on their entire systems,
> including the disk drives, so they could coast over any power loss.
>
> I do not have any database that important, but my machine has an APC
> Smart-UPS that has 2 1/2 hours of backup time with relatively new
> batteries in it. It is so oversize because my previous computer used
> much more power than this one does. And if my power company has a brown
> out or black out of over 7 seconds, my natural gas fueled backup
> generator picks up the load very quickly.
>
> Am I overlooking something?

UPS-es can fail too ... :)

And so many things could be happen ... once I plugged out the power cord
from the UPS which powered the database server (which was a production
server) ... I thought powering something else :)
but lucky me ... the controller was flash backed

--
            Levi