Re: Strange error in Windows 10 Pro - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Moreno Andreo
Subject Re: Strange error in Windows 10 Pro
Date
Re: Strange error in Windows 10 Pro  (Dale Seaburg <kg5lt@verizon.net>)
List pgsql-general
Il 21/04/2018 22:35, Adrian Klaver ha scritto:
> On 04/21/2018 01:08 PM, Dale Seaburg wrote:
>> Thanks Adrian for the suggestion of running the installer with Admin
>> rights.  Unfortunately, I get the same results.  It appears that all
>> of the folders within C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.6 path are
>> created, and populated, BUT, when the items in the *data* folder are
>> to be created, or copied into, it leaves an error message as noted
>> previously. The *data* folder is empty.
>>
>> It's almost as if the PC is missing a critical .dll needed in the
>> *data* folder filling function (my guess).
>>
>> Again, I am at a loss as to what to do.
>
> Have you looked at the system logs e.g. Event Viewer?

If you look in %temp%", there should be one or more files named
"bitrock_installer" or something similar (search for "bitrock"), that's
the setup log with what's went good and what not.
Another hint I had since 9.1 times (it was 2012, I guess) was to avoid
installing Postgres under system folders (c:\program files, c:\users,
and so on) because in some cases there could be some nasty behaviors...
try installing on something like c:\PG96...

HTH
Cheers,
Moreno.-