Re: Postgres 8.3, four times slower queries? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Aaron Guyon
Subject Re: Postgres 8.3, four times slower queries?
Date
Re: Postgres 8.3, four times slower queries?  (Aaron Guyon <battlemage@gmail.com>)
Re: Postgres 8.3, four times slower queries?  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Comparisons on
numerics aren't terribly fast though (in either release).  I wonder
whether you could change the key columns to int or bigint.

I changed the affected columns from numeric to integers and I was unable to get any performance gain:
8.3.3: 1195 ms
8.2.12: 611 ms

I've attached the new query plans.

Are you doing
something to force the join order, like running with a small
join_collapse_limit setting?  If so maybe you shouldn't.

No, we left the join_collapse_limit to the default 8.  We tried a higher value, but there was no difference in performance.

I'll post the query and the table descriptions in separate messages to the list to avoid my mail from being rejected for exceeding the size limit :)
Attachment