Re: Simple Column reordering - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lukas Kahwe Smith
Subject Re: Simple Column reordering
Date
Re: Simple Column reordering  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:

> If this is standards-breaking as you say, I would withdraw immediately.
> I checked the SQL standard and could not see how this would do so. The
> standard states SELECT * would return columns in order; it doesn't say
> what that order should be, nor does CREATE TABLE enforce the ordering to
> be the same as it has specified, AFAICS. Please correct me and I will
> withdraw. Practical issues seem far stronger drivers than standards
> issues here, which is why the parameter would default=off.

I did not follow the entire thread. I just wanted to point out that IIRC
MS SQL Server (and maybe also Sybase) do automatically optimize the
internal order of how columns are stored to move fixed length (which
also means non NULLable for these two servers) columns to the left.
Maybe this will serve as a reference point (not necessarily for
standards compliance of course).

regards,
Lukas