Re: [HACKERS] Neverending query on 6.5.2 over Solaris 2.5.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Brian E Gallew
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Neverending query on 6.5.2 over Solaris 2.5.1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Then <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> spoke up and said:
> Fernando Schapachnik <fpscha@ns1.via-net-works.net.ar> writes:
> > What value would you advise for shmmax?
>
> more than the default number of buffers.  But I have no advice on
> how many is appropriate for what size of installation --- can anyone
> else help?

Unless you are severely resource constrained, think big.  Generally
speaking, the kilobytes of memory you'll lose to kernel structures are
irrelevant.  Performance is generally not an issue, either.

| JAVA must have been developed in the wilds of West Virginia.      |
| After all, why else would it support only single inheritance??    |
| Finger geek@cmu.edu for my public key.                            |