Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From stig erikson
Subject Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Duncan Garland wrote:
> How do you position Postgres against MySQL 5.0?
>
> MySQL is more popular but I've always regarded it as a bit lightweight. I'm
> told that this is no longer the case with 5.0. Why choose Postgres over
> MySQL 5.0?
>
> Thanks.

What can i say, all is personal opinions.
However, MySQL has added a lot of missing features the last few years, version 4.1 and 5.0 are really quite capable.

However, PostgreSQL is more robust and has a long tradition of beeing so. In MySQL i have had at least two data
curruptionoccations, where innodb-tables suddenly looked like myisam-tables.
all new inserts failed, unless we reused data from earlier queries. and no, the disks are not broken.
 From version 5.0 you have build in clustering in MySQL. MySQL is also comming strong on statistics.

PostgreSQL on the other hand is extreamly stable compared to MySQL. I have had no failuers the last two years on PG.
PG has better table partitioning of tables.
PG has better planner, and much better planner output (explain analyze).

However, currently i miss the following in PG:
SQL such as: GROUPING SETS, CUBE, ROLLUP. Also looking for WITH RECURSION for recursive SQL-queries.

a very handy thing in mysql is FEDERATED tables that allows one to open a channel from one MySQL-server to another
MySQL-server.
Does PG have anything similar?

/stig