Re: Performace Optimization for Dummies - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Carlo Stonebanks
Subject Re: Performace Optimization for Dummies
Date
List pgsql-performance
> Maybe "group by", "order by", "distinct on" and hand-written functions
> and aggregates (like first() or best()) may help.

We use these - we have lexical analysis functions which assign a rating to
each row in a set, and the likelyhood that the data is a match, and then we
sort our results.

I thought this would be the cause of the slowdowns - and it is, but a very
small part of it. I have identified the problem code, and the problems are
within some very simple joins. I have posted the code under a related topic
header. I obviously have a few things to learn about optimising SQL joins.

Carlo