Re: Largest PostgreSQL 8.x DB someone is running? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Asko Oja
Subject Re: Largest PostgreSQL 8.x DB someone is running?
Date
List pgsql-general

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 7:14 AM, Keaton Adams <kadams@mxlogic.com> wrote:
What is the the largest PostgreSQL 8.x database that is running in a production environment that you are aware of?  We top out at roughly 400 GB but have a need for a new project to go much, much larger (in the several TB range).  I am attempting to get a feel for how large one should take a single PostgreSQL database, given all of the operational concerns such as overall performance with a thousand+ concurrent users, times/space requirements for backups and restores, how to upgrade to newer upcoming versions of the software, etc. especially since there are no parallel operations/features in the product.
plProxy can be used in several ways to use more than one server for serving one database.  Our largest OLTP table is over 1 TB in size and we use more than 10 quite cheap servers to keep it online. We use plProxy for horizontal splitting data over servers, vertical splitting functionality into separate servers and clusters of servers and last but not least good old remote calls between servers.
http://kaiv.wordpress.com/2007/07/27/postgresql-cluster-partitioning-with-plproxy-part-i/

regards,
Asko

Any information you can provide would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Keaton