Re: file system level backup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From iztech
Subject Re: file system level backup
Date
List pgsql-general
@craig

i am on mac os x 10.5 and i installed via macports using robby russel
pg install guide.

here is the initdb...

Init your new PostgreSQL database with: initdb -D pgdata
Start up PostgreSQL with: pg_ctl -D pgdata -l pgdata/psql.log start
Create a new database with: createdb argon_development
Test the new database with: psql argon_development
Did it load up your new database? If so, great! If not… check your
steps… :-)

so i read the pg manual and figured the db path should be what i tried
and then replace the path from another instruction.

which didn't work.

i also tried the tar db path and move it to the new location. that
worked but i think it changes the ownership. i did chown posgres
(user) on the folder, but i don't think it applies to the contents of
the folder. that could be my problem.

i will look at the .conf file and then try the pg_dump and pg_restore.

once you do a pg_dump will it leave the current db at it states. i was
concerned that it might do some damage and then my data would be
destroyed.

i also read about -o during pg_dump but frankly i didn't understand
it. yes, i am using foreign keys in ruby.

i really don't understand the 2nd half pg_restore, do you copy the
file and move it to the new server, if so where, before you run
pg_restore.

thanks.