Re: Postmaster is starting but shutting when trying to connect (Windows) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: Postmaster is starting but shutting when trying to connect (Windows)
Date
List pgsql-general
On 07.07.2006 09:20 Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i have a PostgreSQL (8.1) installation for testing purposes which was
> running fine for several months now (Windows XP). I was working with it
> yesterday, and today after booting my computer and restarting the
> service (I'm starting the service manually, because I don't need the
> server running all the time) postmaster comes up fine, no entries in the
> log file.
>
> But as soon as I try to connect to the server (does not matter what type
> of client, psql, PgAdmin or JDBC) I get an error message in the log
> file.

Follow up:

when I start Postgres "manually" i.e. from a commandline running as the
postgres user, using pg_ctl, then everything is working fine.

When I use "net start" to start the Postgres Service I cannot connect

Cheers
Thomas