Re: Need clarification on "field" - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: Need clarification on "field"
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Tue, 2024-06-04 at 19:54 +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:
> Under page "https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/limits.html", below
> limitations are mentioned:
>
> field size - 1 GB
> identifier length - 63 bytes
>
> I understand "identifier" as the name we provide for tables, columns etc.
>
> By the way, what is "field" in Postgresql? I don't see any official
> page/explanation for this.

The PostgreSQL term would be "attribute".  Perhaps we should use that.
Alternatively, what about "column value"?  It is perhaps not accurate,
because a Datum need not be stored in a column, but it might be readily
understandable.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe