Performance with 2 AMD/Opteron 2.6Ghz and 8gig DDR PC3200 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kjell Tore Fossbakk
Subject Performance with 2 AMD/Opteron 2.6Ghz and 8gig DDR PC3200
Date
List pgsql-performance

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kjell Tore Fossbakk <kjelltore@gmail.com>
Date: Jul 26, 2006 8:55 AM
Subject: Performance with 2 AMD/Opteron 2.6Ghz and 8gig DDR PC3200
To: pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org

Hello!

I have upgraded my server to an HP Proliant DL585. It got two Processor motherboards, each holding an AMD/Opteron 2.6Ghz and 4GIG of memory.

I got 4 150GIG SCSI disks in a Smart Array 5i 1+0 RAID.

I'v been using Postgres for a few years, and the reason for this major hardware upgrade is to boost my performance. I have created a small web application that pulls huge amounts of data from my database.

The database consists of basically one table, but it's big. It got 10 columns and a few indexes on the 3-4 most used fields (based on my queries of course). My queries use a few aggregated functions, such as sum and count, which makes the data moving process time-consuming.

Now, on my older server (2gig memory and probabably some 2ghz cpu) my queries took quite a lot of time (30sec - several minutes). Now, with a much better hardware platform, I was hoping I could juice the process!

As I have understood, there is alot of tuning using both postgres.conf and analyzing queries to make the values of postgres.conf fit my needs, system and hardware. This is where I need some help. I have looked into postgres.conf , and seen the tunings. But I'm still not sure what I should put into those variables (in postgres.conf) with my hardware.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

- Kjell Tore

--
"Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down."

--
"Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down."