Re: Out parameters handling - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ryan Bradetich
Subject Re: Out parameters handling
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Ryan Bradetich <rbradetich@gmail.com> writes:
>> This is one of the things I wanted to start looking at for 8.5.
>> My idea was to optionally use : or @ (not sure which is more popular) to
>> specify this token is only a variable.
>
> This whole line of thought is really a terrible idea IMHO.  plpgsql is
> supposed to follow Oracle's pl/sql syntax, not invent random syntax of
> its own.  I believe that 80% of the problems here are occurring because
> we used a crude substitution method that got the priorities backwards
> from the way Oracle does it.

Fair Enough.   I just hope what every solution the community decides upon
solves this problem.  It is a very annoying problem to track down and I tend
to get even more agitated when I figure out this is the problem.

I do not want to distract from the release efforts, so I will withhold further
comments until the 8.5 development cycle.

Thanks,

- Ryan