Re: Feature Freeze date for 8.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marko Kreen
Subject Re: Feature Freeze date for 8.4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/24/07, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> > The main problem with using Git on a much larger scale is that there's
> > still limited ability to use it on Win32.  Google is working on that:
> > http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/ but it's not quite there yet; there's
> > also a partial MinGW port.
>
> IIRC the official word from the git people is that they don't care about windows. As long as they say that, I
considerthat a dealbreaker.

> And from a quick look that google project is still just for msys, which is a dependency that we've rid ourselves of.
>
> If we're going to switch scm, we should switch to one that's supported on our platforms...

Well, that _was_ the official word from core git devs, in the sense
that they wonr put any effort to windows support and any support
should not obfuscate core code.  But there were other devs who
decided to work on it and the windows support is humming along well:
http://marc.info/?l=git&m=119283639121273&w=2

Note that msys is needed for _building_ git not using it.

--
marko