Re: Patch process? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marko Kreen
Subject Re: Patch process?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 7/19/06, Joshua Reich <josh@root.net> wrote:
> Just a general question - I submitted a patch for contrib/cube (adding a
> new function & converting everything from V0 to V1), what is the process
> from here onwards? Do we have an active maintainer of this code? How is
> it reviewed?

You should post into -patches@ list, then some core member will
review and apply it.  The review may take some time, you should
not worry about that.  I see that you already got general ACK.

> I would like to continue working on the cube stuff, as our company uses
> it heavily and has developed a core library of functions that we use
> regularly. I would love to be able to add these back to the Postgres
> project, but I'm not sure about what the guidelines are for contrib. I
> have noticed comments elsewhere about contrib packages being removed
> because they didn't follow guidelines, so I don't want to fall foul of
> that line, but I am not sure where the line is.

The line mostly depends on quetions 'Is it useful?' and 'Is it active?'

As you mentioned, it is useful and if you will fix problems then
its also active.  Seeing cvs log of the module, you could consider
becoming the maintainer.

> I noticed that one of the regression tests now fail, as the original
> regression test expects a certain ordering from a query that doesn't
> request ordered results. Should I fix the test case so that ordering
> will be assured? Should I add test cases for most of the functions that
> currently aren't being tested?

Sure, as a maintainer, you should fix all problems :)

--
marko