Re: strange - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Szymon Guz
Subject Re: strange
Date
List pgsql-general
2010/3/22 Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>
Tom Lane wrote:
Szymon Guz <mabewlun@gmail.com> writes:
I've got a simple query. When I use explain analyze it lasts 7 times slower.
Why?
You've got a machine where gettimeofday() is really slow.  This is
common on cheap PC hardware :-(

I'd be curious to know more about the hardware and operating system Szymon is using if you suspect this is the case.  I keep hearing about systems where this is slow, but despite claims that they're common I've never actually seen one.

Hi,
the laptop that I use right now is Compaq 6710b, 4GB RAM, Ubuntu 64bit, kernel from distribution, hdd is new

szymon@ymon:~$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.31-20-generic (buildd@crested) (gcc version 4.4.1 (Ubuntu 4.4.1-4ubuntu8) ) #58-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 12 04:38:19 UTC 2010

regards
Szymon