Re: Hot Standby query cancellation and Streaming Replication integration - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Hot Standby query cancellation and Streaming Replication integration
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 00:43:48 +0000, Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:56 PM, Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>
wrote:
>> This is also the reason why the whole "pause recovery" idea is a
>> fruitless
>> path to wander down.  The whole point of this feature is that people
>> have a
>> secondary server available for high-availability, *first and foremost*,
>> but
>> they'd like it to do something more interesting that leave it idle all
>> the
>> time.  The idea that you can hold off on applying standby updates for
>> long
>> enough to run seriously long reports is completely at odds with the
idea
>> of
>> high-availability.

> I want my ability to run large batch queries without any performance
> or reliability impact on the primary server.

+1

I can use any number of other technologies for high availability.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake(at)jabber(dot)postgresql(dot)org  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 -
http://www.commandprompt.com/ The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997