Re: Wish: remove ancient constructs from Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nikolay Samokhvalov
Subject Re: Wish: remove ancient constructs from Postgres
Date
Re: Wish: remove ancient constructs from Postgres  ("Jonathan Gardner" <jgardner@jonathangardner.net>)
List pgsql-general
On 2/27/06, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 26. Februar 2006 21:24 schrieb Neil Conway:
> > I think a better approach would be to introduce the concept of "SQL
> > dialects", similar to "--std=..." in GCC or SQL modes in MySQL 5. That
> > would help people who want to write standard-compliant applications
> > while not inconveniencing those who don't care.
>
> Such a thing has been discussed from time to time but in reality you wouldn't
> get useful results from it because just about any application will violate
> the standard somewhere.

so, maybe it's better to forget about SQL:2003 at all?
please, remember that many people use Postgres for educational
purposes. Aren't you afraid of that in the future these people will
switch to MySQL because of ability to work in standard way?..

--
Best regards,
Nikolay