Re: Query runs 38 seconds for small database! - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andrus
Subject Re: Query runs 38 seconds for small database!
Date
List pgsql-performance
> The only reason for being so conservative that I'm aware of was that it
> was a best guess. Everyone I've talked to cuts the defaults down by at
> least a factor of 2, sometimes even more.

Can we ask that Tom will change default values to 2 times smaller in 8.1.4 ?

> BTW, these parameters are already tweaked from what we started with in
> contrib/pg_autovacuum. It would allow a table to grow to 2x larger than
> it should be before vacuuming, as opposed to the 40% that the current
> settings allow. But even there, is there any real reason you want to
> have 40% bloat? To make matters worse, those settings ensure that all
> but the smallest databases will suffer runaway bloat unless you bump up
 recprd> the FSM settings.

I created empty table konto and loaded more that 219 records to it during
database creation.
So it seems that if table grows from zero to more than 219 times larger then
it was still not processed.

Andrus.