cost of query done - recorded anywhere? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Massa, Harald Armin
Subject cost of query done - recorded anywhere?
Date
List pgsql-general
I know that is possible via
EXPLAIN and  EXPLAIN ANALYZE
to get planned and actual time for one query - but no results.

I am looking for information like:

"to do this query, I had to":

- read x <units> from disk/os.cache
- get n <units> from my own buffers
- do n1 comparisons of strings
- do n2 comparisons of inet
- sort n3 tuples via xxx-sort
- write z pages to disk
And I want to use the results as normal - so to say, have a logging "what is the database really doing with all my hardwar" during normal operations.

Are those information available somewhere? Something like pg_buffercache on steroids.
Something like the windows performance-monitor is logging for the whole system.

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare