Re: What does Natvie Posgres mean? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: What does Natvie Posgres mean?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 06/12/2018 10:53 AM, btober@computer.org wrote:

> When someone, e.g., as appeared in a recent and some older pgsql-jobs messages, says "Native Postgres", what do you
supposethat means?

I'm going to say it means the community supported versions, not
offshoots or forks e.g. AWS RDS Postgres, EDB non-community versions, etc.

> Does it mean something different than just "PostgreSQL"?
>
> Is the word "Native" just noise, or does it actually refer to something specific?
>
> A quick google search reveals that there apparently is a thing called "postgres-native" which is described as "...a
nativeD implementation of the Postgres frontend/backend protocol.", but I don't get the sense that this is what is
beingtalked about.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com