Re: pg_stat_database view column xact_commit description should be more descriptive? - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Euler Taveira
Subject Re: pg_stat_database view column xact_commit description should be more descriptive?
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Fri, Dec 16, 2022, at 5:40 PM, Jaime Casanova wrote:
I want to hijack this thread to say that xact_commit seems to be also
counting COMMIT records received by logical replication.
Should we explain that in documentation?
Probably. I don't think adding something to pg_stat_database is appropriate.
IMO this concept should be explained in the logical replication chapter [1].
Logical replication uses transaction infrastructure to apply changes, hence,
statistics will take it into account.

What about physical replication? Are those also counted?
No. Physical replication does not use the transaction machinery to replicate
changes. It is in a lower layer and statistics don't apply at it.

--
Euler Taveira