Re: pg_walinspect - a new extension to get raw WAL data and WAL stats - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: pg_walinspect - a new extension to get raw WAL data and WAL stats
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2/6/22 10:45, Robert Haas wrote:
> For what it's worth, I am generally in favor of having something like
> this in PostgreSQL. I think it's wrong of us to continue assuming that
> everyone has command-line access. Even when that's true, it's not
> necessarily convenient. If you choose to use a relational database,
> you may be the sort of person who likes SQL.

Almost completely off topic, but this reminded me of an incident about
30 years ago at my first gig as an SA/DBA. There was an application
programmer who insisted on loading a set of values from a text file into
a temp table (it was Ingres, anyone remember that?). Why? Because he
knew how to write "Select * from mytable order by mycol" but didn't know
how to drive the Unix sort utility at the command line. When I was
unable to restrain myself from smiling at this he got very angry and
yelled at me loudly.

So, yes, some people do like SQL and hate the command line.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan